Sunday, October 31, 2010

Words of Welcome


Welcome, dear Reader, to the Anglo-Dutch Review, a new blog dedicated to the disparate political goings-on in Britain, the Netherlands, Europe and the United States.
 
The first question you might have at the moment – and I admit it would be a fair one if you do entertain such thoughts – is: who am I that you need to continue reading past this point? Well, I am a 25-year-old, Dutch-born gentleman living in London with a passion for politics, literature and art. I have just completed a Master of Arts in History and am also the proud holder of a Master of Arts in International Relations. Fairly well educated by any standard, wouldn’t you say?

However, being educated seems no longer to be a certain guarantee that one may easily find employment. A life a continual leisure, on the other hand, is easily lived, but gets rather dull after a few short weeks. Sitting on a sofa, reading the news, watching the television, and finding out forlornly that another of one’s applications has been turned down is not something that can be kept up for long.

So in the interest of my sanity – and on the advice of my ex-girlfriend, who seemed remarkably concerned – I have taken up a hobby. And not something odd like beekeeping (a tad bit inconvenient in my small flat) or training for the next London marathon (far too tiring) or stamp collecting (which, although a royal pastime, would hardly solve the problem of getting bored). No, none of those things! My hobby will be that most noble of pursuits: to share with the world, in gentle yet generous terms, the fruits of my mind.

Yes, dear Reader, it is my humble intention to inform you of my ideas and observations and opinions about anything political and everything else that is happening in the world today. Or about what happened yesterday or what might be happening tomorrow. Indeed, any subject that strikes my far-catching fancy may well be treated with deservèd disdain, a casual comment, or incomparable praise.

Although I’m conservative by nature – note the small ‘c’ – I am by no means a Tory through and through. Nor am I a VVD Liberal in the Netherlands. Parties and their politburo opinions have little importance to me. It matters not which technocrat frontbencher or backbench whip-taker espouses this or that view, they will be treated all the same. What matters are individual honesty, conviction and the wisdom of the opinion.

I should add, though, that I can also appreciate a certain level of skill at playing the politicians game. Take Lord Mandelson for instance. I have to say, I like the guy. I don’t care much for his political views but as a politician he is one of the best. Give him but the slightest opportunity to employ his scythe-like mastermind and he will make political hay. Why I really like him, though, is not simply his skill, but also the fact that he is quite open about his fondness for intrigue and behind-the-scenes machinations. After all, he openly revels in being called the Prince of Darkness – or as he apparently prefers after his ennoblement: The Dark Lord.

Anyway, before what was supposed to be a simple introductory post becomes too convoluted, I think I should stop. The rest of what I wanted to say, about my character, preferences and so forth will feature in future posts. If you are interested in a blog based not on the mindless trailing of a party line or ideological straightjacket, but on nothing more than the personal honour of the author I hope you will return in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I find you statement "Parties and their politburo opinions have little importance to me" a curious statement.

    Because, if one wants a system of governance where the people have a certain amount of influence about the way they are governed, how else can that be organized by having some form of representation?
    And if you accept that argument, how else to organize that by electing representatives? And, for electing representatives you would need some kind of political system, where people organize themselves according to their (political) beliefs, i.e. via political parties.

    Conclusion: my view is that anybody that is interested in the way he/she is governed should join a political party and support the costs of organizing his ideas via this party ;-)

    Please note: the fact that we have in Holland (some) influence on how we are governed is a rare phenomenon, both in time (historically) and in space (countries). It is alas the exception to the rule.
    That was, for me, an extra reason to join a political party.

    ReplyDelete